A national patient-facing prospective platform study of PROMs for stage 4 CRC
- Collaboration between colorectal SSL, trainee SSLs (colorectal/aCRC)
- Extensive development work with PPI, ACPGBI, BCUK
- Invited to apply to BDRF 2021
- Due to open Q3 2021
ctDNA in high risk stage 3 CRC
CI of an industry-funded (Biontech) investigator-initiated proof of concept study for ctDNA in locally advanced CRC with high risk of developing “metachronous” metastases
- Adopted to NIHR portfolio
- Opened November 2020
- 23 patients recruited to date
- Trainee delivered
ctDNA in stage 4 CRC
Industry funded cohort study (Tron) for ctDNA as early biomarker of recurrence after liver resection
- Sys rvw of ctDNA in stage 4 disease published in Eur Journ Cancer
- Study endorsed by NCRI advanced colorectal cancer subgroup
- Industry funding secured
- Due to open Q4 2021
Co-applicant for i4i stage 2 grant looking at novel ultrasound technology to increase drug delivery to solid tumours
- Invited for full grant application
Co-investigator for locoregional management of oligometastatic metastases (SABR/Surgery)
Invited for full CRUK application, deferred by CRUK until 2021
Co-investigator (HPB lead) for prospective study assessing presence and viability of COVID-19 in abdominal tissue.
- Funded, open for recruitment, on NIHR Portfolio
Local prospective cohort study investigating efficacy of current pre-operative screening for COVID-19 in elective cancer surgery.
- Trainee led, trainee delivered
- Open, recruiting.
Other research (non-trial) activity
Patient defined and controlled follow-up after surgery for metastatic colorectal cancer
Developing patient controlled and personalised follow-up after surgery for mCRC
- Pan-AUGIS survey in process (with OG & panc leads, Roux group)
- Trainee-led systematic review submitted for publication
- Qualitative research package on patient/clinician reasons for follow-up
- Define core outcome set for patients being followed up after liver resection for mCRC
Trade-offs & patient preferences for locally advanced and metastatic colorectal cancer
Working with health economists and patients to help map longitudinal changes in patients’ preferences and importance of different outcomes throughout cancer treatment, including decision making regret.
- Application for RFPB Grant March 2021
ACRC in the young
Working with National Cancer Observatory/MRC UK Colorectal Cancer Intelligence Hub to map NCRAS/HES data, to identify treatment patterns for patients <50yrs with mCRC
- Trainee-led group
- Aligns with key strategic aim of Bowel Cancer UK
- Data request submitted via MRC, output expected Q3 2021
Promotion of existing trials
I have joined TSG, supported appointment of associate PIs at all recruiting sites
Promoted recruitment, advertising
- Worked extensively with Bowel Cancer UK (co-funder of my post) to develop a series of blogs, videos and booklets for patients with advanced colorectal cancer.
- Have delivered a virtual training day for Clinical Nurse Specialists about surgery for advanced metastatic cancer, to encourage referral to appropriate centres.